Some planned events include:
- Opening event in April, to commemorate the declaration of war, and Congress’ authorization of the Camp Meade location as a recruiting center.
- In June, a birthdayparty/gala is planned on Ft. Meade to highlight the 100-year history of the installation in an evening of celebration and honor to those who have served there.
- In early fall, we will gather the descendants whose land formed the 10,000 acres that became Camp Meade, again, in commemorate of what they gave to the war effort.
- In November, we will join with the Western Front Association for a unique historical symposium on Ft. Meade.
- And each month, supporting the Installation’s celebration agenda, aspects of history will be spotlighted.
We have a cadre of volunteers involved in planning for the Centennial year. We meet regularly with Fort Meade Installation staff to integrate our planning and coordinate activities. We are also aligning our activities with the state’s World War 1 Commission.
The Ft. Meade Community Covenant Councilhas launched a fundraising campaign to underwrite Centennial activities. We are working closely with Installation leadership in this endeavor. Although dramatically different than the recruiting station is was first authorized to be in 1917, its role in our nation is unquestionably both unique and essential. It is to honor the many who has passed through the post in service, and those who serve there today, that we ask for your support in underwriting events and activities.